Synthetic Yacht Decking Craftsman
Join the winning team…
Elite Marine who?
Elite Marine is the UK’s best team of synthetic yacht decking craftsmen. We build bespoke decking for everything from 20ft day boats to 150ft super yachts. We work mostly in the UK but also in France, the rest of Europe and sometimes the Caribbean. You can check out some of our work here.
We’re hiring new craftsmen who can take on all aspects of building yacht decking using Permateek synthetic decking.
So what will you actually be doing?
- Templating yachts at marina’s across the UK – using plastic templating sheet to lay out on the boat and draw a life size template of the areas to be decked
- Rough cutting the synthetic decking stock into planks and lining up for welding
- Using a plastic thermal/ heat welding gun to join planks
- Cutting out the welded deck panels to the template precisely (to a ±1mm tolerance)
- Adding detail such as margin boards, snapes and artificial plank breaks to the decks to make them look as much like real teak decking as possible – attention to detail is key
- Sanding and finishing the deck by hand
- Fitting (gluing) the deck to yachts at marinas and putting the finishing touches to it
- Occasionally removing old teak and preparing the deck for our Permateek decking
- Having a good time while we do it… come on, who doesn’t want to work on boats?
The most important thing
The most important characteristic of our craftsmen is their unwavering attention to detail and eye for quality. They never say ‘that’ll do’ or ‘it’s ok this time’. Our customers take pride in their boats – they spend time, energy and money on them. Replacing the deck is one of the biggest visual improvements they can make. This is why we take pride in our work, and strive for the 5 star review from every single customer.
Our best people
Our best people get a bit funny if straight lines aren’t perfect, they get frustrated if things don’t fit well and they are fiercely proud of their work. It takes a particular type of person to understand and embrace this obsession for the details – to put yourself in the customer’s shoes.
You’re good at
- Creating physical things, mostly by hand, and by following detailed templates.
- Using hand tools like sanders, heat guns, drills and stanley knives with accuracy.
- Solving challenges and problems. Not all yachts are created equal so it’s not always simple.
- Telling others what you’re thinking, but also taking onboard feedback – this way we all learn from each other and get better at what we do.
- You’ll also need a full UK driving licence.
Bonus points for having
- Experience in commercial flooring, carpentry or joinery, as some of the skills are transferable.
- 5 star reviews of your previous work from customers or colleagues.
- A Passport – don’t worry if you don’t have one yet, it just means you won’t be able to do any international work until you do.
- A driving licence allowing you to tow trailers over 750kg (anyone who passed before 1st January 1997 or you need category BE if you passed your test after that)
- Good knees – we work on the floor a lot.
In return, we can offer
- Between £8 and £12 per hour to start – we’ll share more love as we grow and you skill up.
- Typically 40 hours per week, occasional overtime.
- Challenges to your skill and creativity – not all boats are made the same or simple flat squares to cover, sometimes it takes a bit of thought.
- Flexible working hours – we just need the decks to be built so if you’re a 6am-2pm kind of person or a 10am-6pm person, both are welcome. Equally if you want to go surfing in the middle of the day, that’s usually ok too.
- A great working environment – yes most jobs promise this, but we promise we actually mean it… we all have to enjoy working here too.
- Working from our Hamworthy premises in Poole.
Know someone else who might be interested?
This might not be for you right now, but if it’s not, and you’ve read this far, consider a friend that might be interested and share it with them… we’ll be very grateful for the help in spreading our word.
What sort of operation are we?
We let our customers speak for us…
“David and Adam have just completed fitting Permateek decking to the cockpit, flybridge steps and bathing platform of our Fairline Phantom 46. The attention to detail from the outset has been excellent and this is reflected in the end result which is superb. I would not hesitate in recommending the team at Elite Marine to any boat owner thinking about using this material, a difficult job, very well done. ”Steve Marie
“I just wanted to say how pleased we are with our new Permateek decking on Revellers, it looks really good. I would also like to thank you for all your hard work and the attention to detail that you showed during the planning and installation process. Great job – Thank you again. Best regards, Greg”Greg Smith
“I have for sometime been concerned about the amount of work required annually to keep teak looking acceptable but liking the other attributes it has to offer. Having discovered Permateek and seen samples I decided to ask Elite Marine to install the product on all three deck areas on my Hardy Commodore. Together with others I am impressed both by the product and the workmanship shown by David Dougall (Elite Marine) and his team. In my view Permateek is the future for boat decks, offering the best compromise between appearance and practicality.”Bernard Roper