Marine Upholsterer & Cover maker
Join the winning team…
Elite Marine who?
Elite Marine are a young company based in Poole who refit everything from 20ft day boats to 100ft super yachts with anything from decking to carpet and upholstery to vinyl wrapping. We work mostly in the UK but also in France, the rest of Europe and sometimes the Caribbean. You can check out some of our work here.
We’re looking for someone experienced with doing all kinds of upholstery on yachts to a very high standard. Someone that can recover a chair one day and replace all the headlining the next. You’ll be helping deliver a 5 star experience to every single customer.
So what will you actually be doing?
- Leading upholstery within Elite Marine
- Reupholstering interior and exterior seating both new and recovering
- Cutting, shaping and preparing new foam for seating
- Ordering, marking, cutting fabrics
- Templating, designing and making canvas covers
- Sewing it all together
- Helping remove and replace cushions, headlining panels and seating from the boat
- Preparing and covering headlining and wall panelling boards
- Advising on materials
- Working with designers
- Having a good time while we do it… come on, who doesn’t want to work with yachts?
The most important thing
The most important characteristic you need is a willingness to get stuck in with multiple things at once. You shouldn’t be phased by spinning 10 plates at a time and should thrive on finding better, more efficient, ways to do things. We’re a growing company so we all do more than one job, but we take pride in our work, and strive for the 5 star review from every single customer.
Our best people
Our best people get a bit funny if headlining panels don’t line up perfectly with nice even gaps, and they get a little bit frustrated if a seat isn’t upholstered to the high standard they are looking for. They get frustrated if things don’t run smoothly or things are left half done and they are fiercely proud of their work. It takes a particular type of person to understand and embrace this obsession for the details – to put yourself in the customer’s shoes every day.
You’re good at
- Reupholstering interior and exterior seating in all kinds of materials to a very high standard and level of detail.
- Covering headlining panels and non-removable parts of the boat with materials to a very high standard of finish.
- Solving challenges and problems. Yachts are custom built so nothing is ever easy – especially when you’re refitting them.
- Telling others what you’re thinking, but also taking onboard feedback – this way we all learn from each other and get better at what we do.
- A full UK driving licence.
Bonus points for having
- Experience of working on yacht refits as opposed to new builds (nothing is ever ‘standard’) or experience in the automotive or aerospace sectors.
- Experience of working with canvas and covers.
- 5 star reviews of your previous work from customers or colleagues.
In return, we can offer
- Between £11.50 and £14.10 an hour based on skills and experience.
- Full time 40 hours a week permanent role.
- Working from our Hamworthy premises in Poole.
- Challenges for your skill and creativity to help us grow into a more international and well known brand – one respected for great work.
- A great working environment – yes most jobs promise this, but we promise we actually mean it… we all have to enjoy working here too and we try hard to make it a great place to spend your time.
Know someone else who might be interested?
This might not be for you right now, but if it’s not, and you’ve read this far, consider a friend that might be interested and share it with them… we’ll be very grateful for the help in spreading our word.
What sort of operation are we?
We let our customers speak for us…
“David and Adam have just completed fitting Permateek decking to the cockpit, flybridge steps and bathing platform of our Fairline Phantom 46. The attention to detail from the outset has been excellent and this is reflected in the end result which is superb. I would not hesitate in recommending the team at Elite Marine to any boat owner thinking about using this material, a difficult job, very well done. “Steve Marie
“I just wanted to say how pleased we are with our new Permateek decking on Revellers, it looks really good. I would also like to thank you for all your hard work and the attention to detail that you showed during the planning and installation process. Great job – Thank you again. Best regards, Greg”Greg Smith
“I have for sometime been concerned about the amount of work required annually to keep teak looking acceptable but liking the other attributes it has to offer. Having discovered Permateek and seen samples I decided to ask Elite Marine to install the product on all three deck areas on my Hardy Commodore. Together with others I am impressed both by the product and the workmanship shown by David Dougall (Elite Marine) and his team. In my view Permateek is the future for boat decks, offering the best compromise between appearance and practicality.”Bernard Roper